Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes.....

On our way home from school yesterday, Mattie and I were in deep conversation about her future school career. She was asking me what she would be doing when she finishes Lynn Fanning, Meridianville Middle and Hazel Green High School. I told her then she would go to college. I asked her if she wanted to go to the Lion school (UNA, we recently visited and saw Leo the Lion) or Alabama Roll Tide school. She decided she would go to Alabama Roll Tide school so she could see a real live elephant. Then she got this really puzzled look on her face and said, "mom, that is going to be a long ride to school everyday". I said, "baby, you will live at the Roll Tide School". I was not prepared for what happened next. Big, Huge, Crocodile tears welled up in her eyes, her lip started quivering as I watched in the rear view mirror. She said, "you mean I wont live with you and daddy anymore?" I tried changed the direction of the conversation as I held back my own Crocodiles, and said, "when you finish college you can live next door to mommy and daddy. Little did I know, I was making the situation worse. She said, "yeah, if Mr. Ryan and Ms. Dana move I can live there with my husband". I said, "of course you can. This did not satisfy her at all as I could see the tears continue to fall. I said, "how about this, when you finish college and get married, then you and your husband can live at mommy and daddy's house?" (I was trying anything by now to settle her little mind) She thought for a moment and said, "yeah, that sounds good". As I watched her in my rear view mirror, I could see the wheels continuing to turn as she pondered on this "plan". We got home and I helped her get our of the car and I said to her, "Mattie, baby, don't you ever worry about this again. Everything will work out just fine." I finally saw some comfort again in her face. And I was emotionally drained. Whew...what a ride. But this does raise a concern that Matt and I have had since she has been sleeping in our bed for 5 years. Does this mean she AND her husband will sleep with us forever, and what about Nathan and his wife??????
~vikki~

6 comments:

Leah said...

I know that broke your heart when she started crying! I had to laugh at the last couple sentences though. What a mental picture! LOL!

Ginger said...

Yea, you're doomed Vikki. You might as well get ready to set up 3 king beds in your bedroom!

Nanny Tucker said...

That is so sweet! She sure is growing up fast. She is a beautiful little girl and will be a heart-breaker one day.
Theresa

Amanda said...

wow... i almost got a tear just reading that story!! she is so precious and innocent! too bad about sharing your bed though... I think'll you need a bigger bed!!

Carrie said...

Uh, I love her so.

If the house hunting doesn't work out, we're coming too. ;)

~Telah said...

So sweet, Vikki! That brought tears to my eyes too!